Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Cutman Dave Tenny On His "Uncle" Al


JUST ME AND MY UNCLE AL

“Uncle Al the fighters pal” …

He always said that to all of his fighters. I remember when I first met Al..it was at Gleason's ..around 1986. I was in awe of him. I said to myself .."wow that’s Al Gavin". I’ve seen him so many times on TV.

We started to get friendly he and I and he took a liking to me as I did him. I started to pick his brains about everything on boxing. He then asked me if I would train two of his fighters. Of course, I said yes….it was Martin Snow and Doug Hardin.

About 9 months later (after I bothered him so many times about being a cutman) he said to me “what do you want to do..be a trainer or a cutman?”

I said I think I want to be a cutman. He then said to me .."then its settled your going to be a cutman".

I can’t tell you how much I've learned from this man because the list is to damn long,but maybe next time I’ll fill you in on the details....

Since then I’m proud to say I’ve worked 32 world championship fights thanks to Al

His name will always be on my business card and that’s why he’ll always be my 'Uncle AL.'

For more on Dave Tenny visit thecutman.com

No comments:

Contribute to Cutman

If you wish to contribute stories, anecdotes, regards, tributes, videos or photos to this site - or be added to our mailing list, please contact us via email. CLICK HERE