Sunday, August 24, 2008

Al Was Always There For Down-and-Out Fighters

I was at a boxing show in Hackensack, NJ in the early 90s, with my Dad, who I believe was working the corner of Willie Wise. On the undercard was a fighter that was brought in from Buffalo, NY for a 4 rounder against a local product, I presume.

The fight never went the distance. The guy got laid out flat in like the second round, and believe me, when this guy's head hit the canvas, it sounded like a bomb went off. I was in the dressing room and heard it. The doctor checked him over and said he was alright, save for an embarrassing defeat, and the fact that his "Cornermen" stole the $400 he had earned for the bout.

So at the end of the night here's this guy, sitting there, no money, in a virtually empty Holiday Inn ballroom , with tape and old handwraps all over the floor.

My father saw him, and when he heard what had happened to the guy, took him to the depot and bought him a ticket home.

Thats the kind of guy my Dad was.

Al Gavin Jr..

No comments:

Contribute to Cutman

If you wish to contribute stories, anecdotes, regards, tributes, videos or photos to this site - or be added to our mailing list, please contact us via email. CLICK HERE